This will see to it that the information you are entrusting a certain website with, will be able to take hold of your data safely and will only use it for the said transaction that you are allowing it to.
You can determine if a certain website is SSL protected it its address bar has a “padlock” image on it and is followed by the https://. The “s” in https should be a highlight in your verification. These websites are therefore protected and secured. This is normally what you will observe on large sites such as Facebook or Yahoo. The information protected by SSL security includes:
- Credit Card information– this can be used by other people to transact business for their own good.
- Usernames– these can be hacked and used by other users especially spammers who are creating daily spam
- Passwords– this can be very alarming knowing that it could possibly give access to different accounts that you have especially if you are only using one password.
- Pertinent emails– this can be used to blackmail you in some ways
- And the like
- Your account will be properly maintained and will not be hacked by online thieves
- You will be sure that no one will be taking hold of your credit card information and use it for their own purpose
- Your visitors would also be confident to do transactions with you as they would realize that you are secured
- This will give you the upper hand in comparison to those sites that are not protected
- You will be able to gain greater number of clients who will be willing to transact with your site
- This would eventually lead to an increased revenue as a site developer
- RapidSSL Premium Certificate– this is usually not offered for free but can be purchased along the registration process that you would do when starting up your iPage account. This is produced by GeoTrust which is one the most reliable SSL providers on the web. Its features include: extended warranty, unlimited reissues that are offered free, encryption that are up to 256-bit, secured https access, mobile gadget compatibility, $100,000 level of protection, and GeoSure Protection Plan.
- Shared SSL– this is the free SSL Security offered by iPage to ensure that all of its clients are protected. This is on all hosting plans. This is a bit different from SSL Premium Certificates as it is using the domain name of iPage. This suggests that once you start up a commitment with iPage, it will also be protecting you from any form of frauds that are spread all over the net.